Close
(0) Shopping cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Shopping Categories
    Filters
    Preferences
    Search
    Thursday, September 26, 2024 11:17:33 PM

5 hp VFD Installation Troubleshooting Questions

2 months ago
    #46 Quote
    Hello, I'm installing a 5 hp (4 kW) VFD and can't remove the capacitors. Despite reading the manual, the motor starts up with a terrible sound and then faults. I need to adjust parameters from factory settings to ensure proper operation and also want to control the speed using the unit's dial.
    Any suggestion?
    2 months ago
    #47 Quote
    Taylor wrote:
    Hello, I'm installing a 5 hp (4 kW) VFD and can't remove the capacitors. Despite reading the manual, the motor starts up with a terrible sound and then faults. I need to adjust parameters from factory settings to ensure proper operation and also want to control the speed using the unit's dial.
    Any suggestion?

1. It is generally not recommended to remove the capacitor when the single-phase VFD is connected to a single-phase motor. You can directly connect the 2 power lines of the motor to the output terminals U, W or V, W.  Only when the motor is running at a low speed for a long time Need to remove the capacitor.
    2. Regarding the parameter setting of VFD, you can refer to our video, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8zavX-9vVw&list=PLlo8RulDRnthBFbP4ydheukDSKw2hAfDn&index=15
    ATO.com
    2 months ago
    #48 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    1. It is generally not recommended to remove the capacitor when the single-phase VFD is connected to a single-phase motor. You can directly connect the 2 power lines of the motor to the output terminals U, W or V, W.  Only when the motor is running at a low speed for a long time Need to remove the capacitor.
    2. Regarding the parameter setting of VFD, you can refer to our video, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8zavX-9vVw&list=PLlo8RulDRnthBFbP4ydheukDSKw2hAfDn&index=15

I set all the parameters as per the sheet and also set group PA. The motor starts and runs, but it has a bad vibration, and the amperage is higher than the nameplate, which causes the overcurrent device to trip.
    2 months ago
    #49 Quote
    Taylor wrote:
    I set all the parameters as per the sheet and also set group PA. The motor starts and runs, but it has a bad vibration, and the amperage is higher than the nameplate, which causes the overcurrent device to trip.

If the overcurrent alarm is only for the VFD, it may be that the motor current is large and the VFD is overloaded. you can provide your motor nameplate to confirm the motor's rated current and voltage for reference.
    ATO.com
    2 months ago
    #50 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    If the overcurrent alarm is only for the VFD, it may be that the motor current is large and the VFD is overloaded. you can provide your motor nameplate to confirm the motor's rated current and voltage for reference.

The VFD is not tripping.  
    2 months ago
    #51 Quote
    Taylor wrote:

The VFD is not tripping.  

Your motor nameplate shows that the motor is dual voltage 115V/230V. You should connect according to 230V voltage, and find the motor's user manual to confirm whether your wiring has been connected according to the 230V connection method, for the current 33.8A corresponding to the 115V voltage is greater than 23A of the VFD output current capacity. Please check whether your motor wiring is correct.
    ATO.com
    2 months ago
    #52 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    Your motor nameplate shows that the motor is dual voltage 115V/230V. You should connect according to 230V voltage, and find the motor's user manual to confirm whether your wiring has been connected according to the 230V connection method, for the current 33.8A corresponding to the 115V voltage is greater than 23A of the VFD output current capacity. Please check whether your motor wiring is correct.

It's wired for 230 volts. It runs fine with a motor starter. I've installed over 100 VFDs in various environments, but this is my first time with a single-phase motor. It's not going well. Can this VFD run a three-phase motor with a single-phase input? If so, I'll just replace the motor.
    2 months ago
    #53 Quote
    Taylor wrote:
    It's wired for 230 volts. It runs fine with a motor starter. I've installed over 100 VFDs in various environments, but this is my first time with a single-phase motor. It's not going well. Can this VFD run a three-phase motor with a single-phase input? If so, I'll just replace the motor.

Yes, most VFDs can run a three-phase motor with a single-phase input. Just make sure the VFD is rated for single-phase input and has enough output current capacity for your three-phase motor, check the VFD specs to confirm this.