Close
(0) Shopping cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Shopping Categories
    Filters
    Preferences
    Search
    Friday, September 27, 2024 1:13:58 AM

Recommend a 100 Nm Torque Sensor for Wind Turbine

2 months ago
    #35 Quote
    Hi, I am a college student working on a senior design project. We built a wind turbine and need to measure the torque of the shaft as it rotates. Please let me know if you have some sensors you can recommend (we won't need more than 20 Nm). We're hoping to spend between $500-$1,000, but understand that these can be expensive.
    Thank you.
    2 months ago
    #37 Quote
    Please see all our torque sensors specs, and actual prices at: https://www.ato.com/torque-sensor
    ATO.com
    2 months ago
    #39 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    Please see all our torque sensors specs, and actual prices at: https://www.ato.com/torque-sensor

We're currently looking at the ATO-TQS-D03 digital rotary torque sensor with a 100 Nm capacity. This seems to be appropriate for our needs, but I have some questions please provide some clarification.
    To get readings for the torque and rpm of the shaft in real time, I understand that the USB to RS485 Cable + Software is needed. Do we also need to select RS485 for the output? I just want to make sure that we can transfer the sensor's output data to a laptop and generate some graphs from it. What would be the benefit of selecting RS485 & +/-5V or RS485 & 0-10V?
    2 months ago
    #40 Quote
    Johnny wrote:
    We're currently looking at the ATO-TQS-D03 digital rotary torque sensor with a 100 Nm capacity. This seems to be appropriate for our needs, but I have some questions please provide some clarification.
    To get readings for the torque and rpm of the shaft in real time, I understand that the USB to RS485 Cable + Software is needed. Do we also need to select RS485 for the output? I just want to make sure that we can transfer the sensor's output data to a laptop and generate some graphs from it. What would be the benefit of selecting RS485 & +/-5V or RS485 & 0-10V?

If your budget is between $500-$1,000, you might also want to look at other torque sensors that fit within that range. The 100 Nm capacity sensor might be more than what you need if you're only measuring up to 20 Nm. You can look for sensors with a lower range that might be more accurate for your application.
    2 months ago
    #42 Quote
    Johnny wrote:

ATO-TQS-D03 is a not bad choice. For the torque sensor output signal, RS485 & ±5V, or RS485 & 0-10V, note that if you order the ±5V option, you'll get the output torque in positive and negative directions. If you order 0-10V, you won't be able to distinguish positive and negative torque directions.
    Regarding your setup, you can't measure separately. In other words, you can't fix one end of the shaft. Instead, you can add a brake or a generator to it.
    ATO.com
    2 months ago
    #44 Quote
    Johnny wrote:

Maybe you should select the RS485 option to ensure compatibility with the USB to RS485 Cable + Software. This will make it easier to transfer data to your laptop and create graphs.
    2 months ago
    #45 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    ATO-TQS-D03 is a not bad choice. For the torque sensor output signal, RS485 & ±5V, or RS485 & 0-10V, note that if you order the ±5V option, you'll get the output torque in positive and negative directions. If you order 0-10V, you won't be able to distinguish positive and negative torque directions.
    Regarding your setup, you can't measure separately. In other words, you can't fix one end of the shaft. Instead, you can add a brake or a generator to it.

It should be considered to add a generator. This will help simulate a load on the shaft and provide more accurate torque readings. Fixing one end of the shaft won't work since the sensor measures the rotational force between two rotating components.