Close
(0) Shopping cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Shopping Categories
    Filters
    Preferences
    Search
    Friday, October 25, 2024 5:50:07 PM

How to Configure and Read Outputs from the Rotary Torque Sensor?

3 days ago
    #258 Quote
    Hi friends! I’ve got a question about the ATO-TQS-D03 Rotary Torque Sensor. For the output speed of this sensor, the specifications state the "OC output is standard configuration, and 5V TTL output is optional".  Does "OC" mean open collector?  Also, how does the 5V TTL output option get implemented? Is it a different part? Thanks.
    3 days ago
    #259 Quote
    Scherr wrote:
    Hi friends! I’ve got a question about the ATO-TQS-D03 Rotary Torque Sensor. For the output speed of this sensor, the specifications state the "OC output is standard configuration, and 5V TTL output is optional".  Does "OC" mean open collector?  Also, how does the 5V TTL output option get implemented? Is it a different part? Thanks.

Hi, Scherr
    Yes, OC output refers to open collector output. When using OC output, it is necessary to add a pull-up resistor to the collector. The pull-up resistor can be selected between 1K-10K Ω. Generally, a 5.1K Ω resistor is selected as the pull-up resistor.
    We do not recommend using 5V TTL square wave output, as an incorrect connection could burn out the sensor.
    ATO.com
    3 days ago
    #260 Quote
    Scherr wrote:

Scherr, from my experience, if you're planning to switch to the 5V TTL output, it’s worth checking directly with ATO if there's a different part number or additional configuration needed.
    3 days ago
    #261 Quote
    ATO wrote:
    Hi, Scherr
    Yes, OC output refers to open collector output. When using OC output, it is necessary to add a pull-up resistor to the collector. The pull-up resistor can be selected between 1K-10K Ω. Generally, a 5.1K Ω resistor is selected as the pull-up resistor.
    We do not recommend using 5V TTL square wave output, as an incorrect connection could burn out the sensor.

Thanks for the info! A couple more questions: We ordered the meter with the 4-20mA output (and the label on the meter box lists a range of 100 N.m). Is the 4-20mA output scaled to correspond to 0-100 N.M? Also, is the 4-20mA output loop-powered (need to provide power for the 4-20mA loop) or self-powered (only need to measure 4-20mA from the meter)?
    3 days ago
    #262 Quote
    Scherr wrote:
    Thanks for the info! A couple more questions: We ordered the meter with the 4-20mA output (and the label on the meter box lists a range of 100 N.m). Is the 4-20mA output scaled to correspond to 0-100 N.M? Also, is the 4-20mA output loop-powered (need to provide power for the 4-20mA loop) or self-powered (only need to measure 4-20mA from the meter)?

Yes, the 4-20mA output is scaled to correspond to 0-100 N.m. It’s self-powered (only need to measure 4-20 mA from the meter).
    ATO.com
    3 days ago
    #263 Quote
    Scherr wrote:

I can confirm this—using a self-powered 4-20 mA output saves a lot of hassle. Maybe you just need to connect your measuring device. Just make sure your sensor is properly grounded.
    3 days ago
    #264 Quote
    Thanks again for all the help.
    I only have two more questions (I promise):
    The documentation states that the "Output speed is 60 pulses per revolution." I tried a couple of different methods, and I seem to see 120 pulses per revolution (from the RPM +/- output). Can you confirm if it's 60 or 120 pulses per revolution?
    I am having trouble configuring our system to reliably read the RPM +/- output signal and convert it to RPM. Do you know what customers typically use to read/process this signal? We are using National Instruments hardware and software (LabVIEW).
    3 days ago
    #265 Quote
    Ziemba wrote:
    Thanks again for all the help.
    I only have two more questions (I promise):
    The documentation states that the "Output speed is 60 pulses per revolution." I tried a couple of different methods, and I seem to see 120 pulses per revolution (from the RPM +/- output). Can you confirm if it's 60 or 120 pulses per revolution?
    I am having trouble configuring our system to reliably read the RPM +/- output signal and convert it to RPM. Do you know what customers typically use to read/process this signal? We are using National Instruments hardware and software (LabVIEW).

For your two questions, here is the information:
    The output speed should be 120 pulses per revolution, not 60 pulses per revolution.
    Generally, customers can read the speed through RS485 or directly read the OC signal output by RPM +/-. As mentioned before, OC output refers to open collector output. When using OC output, it is necessary to add a pull-up resistor to the collector. The pull-up resistor can be selected between 1K-10KΩ. Generally, a 5.1KΩ resistor is selected as the pull-up resistor. Please refer to the user manual for more details on the speed output; see the link: https://www.ato.com/Content/doc/Digita-rotary-torque-sensor-user-manual-ATO-TQS-DYN-200.pdf
    ATO.com